Considering his meteoric rise to fame, it would be easy to stereotype Black Coffee as just another black diamond, a BEE beat magnet out to mine the insatiable upwardly mobile urban house party market. But as he proved on his South African Music Award-winning album “Home Brewed”, this DJ and producer defies convention. Currently considered one of the most prominent electronic music producers in the continent & setting IBIZA on fire this season, how well do you really know the man?
Interesting facts about Black Coffee
- DJ Black Coffee’s real name is Nkosinathi Maphumulo, was born in Durban, South Africa and he turns 42 on 11th March.
- Unfortunately for the ladies, he married beautiful actress Mbali Mlotswa on 13th May 2011.
- He started his career back in 1994 when he was still in High School, singing in the school choir and studying the keyboard.
- While studying Music at Natal Technikon, he developed his skills and formed the band ‘Shana’ that went ob to release 4 albums.
- In 2003 he was chosen as one of two South African participants in the Red Bull Music Academy, which jump-started his career in the SA music DJ scene.
- He scooped a South African Music Award at the 16th Annual SAMA Awards in 2006 for the Best Urban Dance Album, “Home Brewed”
- He lost the use of his left arm at age 13 whiles celebrating the release of Nelson Mandela a speeding vehicle ran over the crowd, injuring him.
- He set a world record for the longest DJ set (60 hours) using one arm in 2010.
- In 2009 he announced that 5% of all the album sales from his record label, Soulistic Music, would be donated to charity.
- One of Black Coffee’s most inspirational moves was when he established a foundation called DJ Black Coffee Foundation, uplifting and assisting people with disabilities.
- He loves his family & kids who regularly show up on his Instagram stories feed.
- In Sept 2015 he was named “Breakthrough DJ Of The Year“.
- On 23 October 2015, his “Pieces of Me” album went platinum in South Africa.
- At the end of 2016 he was named 91st on Resident Advisor’s top 100 DJ’s list encompassing all professional DJ’s.
- In 2017 Black Coffee’s “Superman” song was reworked for the playlist track, “Get It Together” on Drake’s album “More Life”
Infusion Magazine has asked him to run for the President in South Africa, which he politely declined 😉